The brain-eating amoeba that killed New Jersey resident Fabrizio Stabile, 29, this month is known as Naegleria fowleri. Now, it's been found in the water system near Shreveport, in Louisiana, Fortune News reported. KTBS said that the dangerous amoeba's presence was made known to Water system officials after routine testing. The feed from Bossier City into the Sligo water system contained the deadly organism.

Testing for brain-eating organism carried out at Texas wave pool

The wave pool brain-eating amoeba scare came after Fabrizio Stabile fell ill soon after visiting the BSR Cable Park's Surf Resort in Waco.

According to the Waco Tribune-Herald, the "facility voluntarily closed Friday," so that testing could be done to find any connection between his death and his visit. The News outlet cited Associated Press as saying that the test results could be out sometime this week.

Louisiana water gets 'chlorine burn' treatment

The recent news means that public attention is on the safety of water systems like those in Louisiana. The organism causes an infection in the brain and, while rare, it's noted that 97 per cent of victims die from it.

For this reason, KTBS reported that water officials near Shreveport stopped using the "water from Bossier City." They noted that a "60-day “chlorine burn” will take place. This means that they will chlorinate the water at a much higher level, although it is still at a safe level for humans.

Naegleria fowleri can survive in swimming pools

The brain-eating organism, Naegleria fowleri, can survive in chlorinated swimming pool water. The CDC notes that you won't get the infection if you drink the water.

However, if it gets into the head through swimming activities, it can take hold and the outcome is usually very grim. Their website explains that the organism causes a "primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM)." They added that it is usually found in rivers, lakes, and soils. Reported infections are more commonly associated with diving and swimming in lakes and rivers than in swimming pools. However, improperly chlorinated swimming pools have caused deaths in the past. They report that the organism can get into the brain when water is forced up the nose.

Symptoms of brain-eating amoeba infections include fever

The CDC list the symptoms of an infection from the organism. They appear in two stages and the first stage includes fever, a bad frontal headache, and nausea and vomiting. The second stage progresses through from stiffness in the neck, to seizures, hallucinations and coma. Eventually, it leads to death more often than not. However, they note that the USA has had some survivors. "During the summer of 2013, two children with Naegleria fowleri infection survived." In 2016 another teen also survived after treatment.

Don't miss our page on Facebook!
Click to read more