remains found in the wooded area of Anna, Texas on Wednesday have been identified as Christina Morris, who went missing three years ago. According to the Collin County Sheriff's Office, the body was dug up by excavators and people who were working in the area to clear some backwoods.

Due to the nature of the remains, the police could not immediately identify the gender or age of the victim. The remains were taken to the Collin County Examiner who sought to determine the victim's identity. The police continued to look for more evidence in the area.

On Thursday morning, reports of the medical examination came in, and Plano Police Department Chief Gregory Rushin confirmed that the remains were those of Christina Morris.

Arochi sentenced to life in prison

According to previous reports by Dateline, Christina went missing in the early hours of August 30, 2014. Christina, 23, was spotted by a surveillance camera at a mall in Plano walking into the parking garage with her friend Enrique Arochi. During his interrogation by the detectives assigned to the case, Arochi said that he and Christina separated afterward and that was the last time he ever saw her. In December 2014, police found traces of Christina's DNA in Arochi's trunk; he was arrested by the Plano Police in relation to Christina's disappearance.

In September 2016, Arochi was sentenced to life in prison with a chance for parole in 2046. The jury found him guilty of aggravated kidnapping.

Body returned to the family

After announcing the identity of the remains, Chief Rushin assured the public and family of the victim that the police would continue investigating the case.

Christina's remains were returned to the family in the hope that it might bring peace to her loved ones. Christina's mother, Jonni, and her stepsister, Sarah Estes, were given a chance to speak at the press conference. Christina's mom said she believes her daughter is in a better place and she is happy they never gave up.

On Thursday morning, Christina's mother was spotted placing flowers where her daughter's body was found.

According to Lt. Nick Bristow of the Collin County Department, the area where the body was found had been searched while the case was still ongoing.

Chief Russin did not take any questions from reporters, concluding his remarks by saying that the past three years have been hard for the victim’s family and the community. Officials have not yet said how the recent developments will affect Arochi’s case.