A Florida man, #Mark Barnett created what he thought was the perfect get-rich-quick scheme encompassing hand-made bombs, planned trades in the share market and the superstore #Target.

But it didn't play out as he hoped at all

Instead the 48-year-old man was arrested and accused Friday of possession of a #destructive device that could affect commerce, the US Attorney’s Office in the Middle District of Florida released in a broadcast statement Thursday.

The previously convicted felon faces a maximum of a 10 year-sentence in prison. Barnett is presently being held in custody at the #Marion County Jail as he has been charged for failing the terms of his probation. He will be tried in a court of law in the coming weeks or months.

A confidential source to carry out the attack and wreak death

According to an affidavit filed by the State, Barnett offered a confidential source $10,000 to #plant bombs in Target stores in an area spanning New York to Florida along the east coast of the United States.

He generated around 10 of the bombs himself, camouflaged in food packets and grocery boxes, which he sent to his source on the 9th of February.

Barnett then asked the source to place the numerous #explosive devices on the superstore's shelves, dotted around the products. He also disguised the source's identity with a bag of gloves, a facial mask, and a cover for the license plate.

Barnett hypothesized that #Target's stock value would fall after the bombs exploded, allowing him to inexpensively purchase Target shares preceding an eventual rebound in prices.

Rather than putting the bombs on Target shelves, however, the source gave them up to the police.

It was determined that the devices were capable of #causing serious injury, or perhaps death to nearby persons upon explosion. A successive investigation of Barnett’s property by police revealed components found in the explosive devices.

Potential harm to the public and Target workers

They commended the swift work of Special Agents, Bomb Enforcement Officers, and other highly qualified crime resources who may have helped to foil Barnett's plot "that could have caused great #harm to the public," said Special Agent Daryl McCrary, from Tampa.

Target speaks out about the matter and offers a statement

A #Target spokeswoman said to ABC News in an official statement on Thursday the 16th February:

"Target commends the law enforcement agencies responsible for apprehending this individual,"

and then asked the public to direct any further questions to the Tampa police department, who are handing media and civil inquiries into the matter.

This case was scrutinized by the Florida Department of Corrections, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and the #Marion County Sheriff’s Office, and the City of Ocala Police Department, amongst others.

It will be actively prosecuted by Assistant US Attorney Robert Bodnar for the State, with other evidenced upheld in the court room.

This is the first time that someone has planned to blow up multiple Target stores at once.

Don't miss our page on Facebook!
Click to read more