A 73-year-old Man could never imagine the consequences of opening a mailed package, which was lying down in the front stoop of his Brookville property. On Friday, July 28, the victim decided to visit the property which was rented out to two families, that is when he saw a package that looked similar to the shape and size of a Quaker Oatmeal box. He got inquisitive and opened the package, which was followed by a loud explosion. The man was injured as a result of the incident.

What is the condition of the victim?

The identity of the victim is not known, but he has suffered second and third-degree burns on 80 percent of his body.

He is admitted to the Nassau University Medical Center where he is believed to be in a critical condition.

The police are investigating the case and have gotten in touch with his wife who has given her statement but wishes to be unnamed. The property was located in 100 blocks on the 222nd Street in the Brookville neighborhood of Queens. The detectives told the victim’s wife that he is talking and is aware of the whole situation. The man and his wife did not stay in the house and had rented it out to two families who were safely evacuated from the property after the incident. The man was a retired hospital worker and according to the wife’s statement, there was no one who would want to harm him.

She is currently not aware of the whole situation.

What did the police say after investigating the explosion scene?

The police chief stated that the explosive was a victim-triggered device and was kept in a package of Quaker Oatmeal box. It is being considered as a low-quality explosive and no shrapnel was found at the scene of the explosion, just black powder.

It is still not clear whether the package was actually sent through the mail, or was intentionally left on the property by someone.

The blast was reported by one of the neighbors at 4.15pm and has left a considerable amount of evidence to keep the investigation going. According to one of the neighbors, he heard a loud noise and went out thinking it was an accident.

However, when he got out, he saw the man lying down on the grass in front of the house and groaning in pain. The victim seemed like he was getting engulfed by the pain and there was fire on his lower body.

The neighbors rushed to help the man with towels to put off the fire and they were quick to call 911. The firemen were first to reach the scene, followed by a medical team and the police officers.