At least twelve people have been Confirmed Dead in Grenfell Tower block inferno and the number, according to the BBC, is expected to rise. Police have warned that the toll is likely to rise. As reported by the Guardian, a total of 68 people has been hospitalized.

Somber mood as six confirmed dead

There were hundreds of people in the #Grenfell Tower, as the blaze turned into an inferno. The blaze is thought to have started on the third or fourth floor a few hours after midnight. According to the Guardian, five hospitals in London are receiving patients.

Guys and St. Thomas confirmed that they are treating four patients in A&E. Royal Free Hospital, through their website, confirmed that they are also treating patients. 16 patients are being treated at St. Mary’s hospital, 3 of whom are in critical condition.

The cause of the fire has not been established. #Graham Fieldhouse, a fire and safety expert, was reported by the Guardian as he said that: “Prime faces the layer has been the cause of the spreading of the fire up the building.” Fieldhouse noted that the spread of the fire would have been contained and raised questions about fire doors and warning systems. In his view, people would have had the opportunity to escape the wrath of the inferno.

The tower which is situated on Latimer Road is a social housing complex comprising of 1000 homes. It is a section of the Lancaster West Estate, which is managed by the Kensington and Chelsea Tenant Management Organization. According to witnesses, a baby was trapped by members of the public after being thrown from a window. The baby was saved as firefighters continued to put off the blaze.

Rapid response from the fire department

Fire Commissioner #Dany Cotton confirmed that about 250 firefighters had tackled the flames using 40 engines. The fire brigade confirmed to have received the first emergency calls about the blaze a few minutes before 1 a.m. within six minutes, the first engines arrived.

The severity of the fire prompted the fire brigade to rush more engines to the scene.

Victims were attended to by about 100 police officers and a similar figure of medical staff. Roads close to the scene were cordoned off, to prevent onlookers and residents from being hit being hit by falling debris.

Commissioner Cotton said that the size and complexity of the tower made it difficult to ascertain the exact number of people who had died. He added on, “In my 29 years of being a firefighter, I have never seen anything of this measure.”