Convicted Charleston church shooter Dylan Roof’s younger sister, Morgan Roof, 18, has been arrested after posting a threatening message to students during the national walkout. Morgan Roof was charged with two counts of carrying a weapon on school grounds and one count of marijuana possession. Students were concerned after reading her Snapchat post and alerted officials. Students were very upset considering who her brother is. She was held on a $5,000 bond and was later released, and also ordered to stay away from A.C. Flora High School in South Carolina, which she attends.

Twitter user Tatianna was able to capture Roof’s Snapchat post. Morgan Roof posted the following, “your walking out for the allowed time of 17 min, they are letting you do this, nothing gonna change what tf you think it's gonna do? She continued to state,”I hope it's a trap and y'all get shot we know it's fixing to be nothing but black people walkin out anyway...No offense ofc buuut.”

National school walk out

All across the United States, thousands of students walked out of their classroom in protest of gun violence. Students want something done in the wake of another mass school shooting that happened on February 14 at Stoneman Douglas High in Florida that left seventeen people dead.

Many students felt that this was the only way to be heard, by invoking the 1st Amendment right of free speech, and the right to protest peacefully.

According to USA Today, since the 1999 Columbine High School massacre, there have been 208 school shootings. Schools have implemented safety procedures but it has not stopped the violence.

Violence in public schools has slowly increased across the nation, leaving many dead and others seriously injured.

Dylan Roof

Dylan Roof killed nine people on June 17, 2015, at the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in South Carolina. Roof is a white supremacist and wanted to start a race war. On the day of the shooting, he has entered the church during a Bible study class and participated with members.

A few minutes later, he pulled out his gun and started shooting. As soon as Roof was done he left the church in a bloodbath.

A few hours later Roof was caught during a traffic stop almost 300 miles away from the church. He admitted to law enforcement that he was the shooter. Roof was indicted on 33 federal charges, including 12 counts of committing a hate crime against the black victims of the church. On January 10, 2017, he was sentenced to death and then on April 10, 2017, he was again sentenced to life in prison, via CBS News.