Matthew James Phelps, 29, called 911 on Friday morning saying he had taken Cold Medicine to help him sleep, but when he awoke his Wife was dead and covered in blood. In an eerie exchange, Phelps told the dispatcher there was a knife on the bed and that he thought he had killed his wife, but had no knowledge of doing it. That 911 call was later released by police.

In the recording of the 911 call, published by the News and Observer, the dispatcher asked Phelps what his emergency was. Phelps gave the dispatcher his address and can be clearly heard saying “I think I killed my…” before breaking off.

The dispatcher asked Phelps to tell him what had happened. Phelps said he had a dream but when he awoke and turned on the lights, his wife was lying dead on the floor.

911 dispatcher asked how his wife died

When the dispatcher asked Phelps how his wife had died, he said he was covered in blood and that there was a knife on the bed, also coated with blood. Phelps went on to say he thought he had killed her. Intermittently crying on the phone, Phelps said he couldn’t believe he had done this. On request, he confirmed to the operator that his wife did not appear to be breathing but said he didn’t want to get too close to her. When asked what time it occurred, Phelps said that he didn’t know the time, but that the blood on him had dried.

Suspect took cold medicine before sleeping

Phelps then explained that he took Coricidin Cough and Cold medicine before he went to sleep, because he sometimes had difficulty sleeping and that possibly he took too much. After this Phelps became distraught and the 911 dispatcher told him he would stay with him on the line until the police arrived.

Husband charged with the murder of his wife

Raleigh police spokeswoman Laura Hourigan said Phelps was charged with murder shortly after 6 a.m. on Friday after his wife, 29-year-old Lauren Ashley-Nicole Phelps, was found by police, stabbed to death in their home.

Hourigan said paramedics rushed her to a nearby hospital, but she was pronounced dead on arrival. Phelps was taken by police to the Wake County Jail where he is being held without bail. A spokeswoman for the Wake County Clerk of Court said Phelps has his first court appearance scheduled for Tuesday next week.

According to a report by the Sacramento Bee, the couple were married in November last year. From their Facebook pages, they both appeared to be happy. State records show that Phelps has no prior criminal record.