The public has not heard much recently about The Secret Service's case against Kathy Griffin over her posting a video of a severed head made to look like President Donald Trump on May 30, 2017 on her social media accounts. According to the news on Wednesday, July 5, the 56-year-old stand-up comedian was interviewed in person for an hour by the Secret Sevice, but the case has not been closed. With many other controversial things going on in the news, the public likely forgot about the video and its aftermath. Griffin has not given any details about the interview. She did tweet last week that she had been interviewed and is under federal investigation.

Investigation

Soon after Griffin posted the gruesome photo, she apologized through tears on June 2. At the time, she called Donald Trump a bully and stated that he was trying to ruin her life. She added that she will continue to make fun of him even more because that's what comedians do. Even though she is under investigation, she is keeping her promise to continue to make fun of Trump. Her Twitter feed has jokes about the president.

Her attorney, Dmitry Gorin said in a press release that Griffin's team would fully cooperate to resolve the matter. Gorin told the New York Times that Griffin was exercising her First Amendment right to tell a joke. He added that it is unusual for an entertainer, especially a comedian, to be under criminal investigation for telling a joke.

Top Videos of the Day

It is the way comedians express themselves, and the act is protected by the First Amendment.

Reactions

The comedian received backlash after she posted the photo. She received death threats, and she lost her CNN New Year's Eve hosting job with Anderson Cooper. CNN said that what Griffin did was disgusting and offensive. Cooper said he was appalled and said what Griffin did was inappropriate.

She was dropped by Squatty Potty as their marketing spokesperson. Her tour dates were canceled, and she was disinvited by Minnesota Senator Al Franken from a promotional event. Nevada Senator Catherine Cortez Masto said she was going to donate the $1,000 she received from Griffin to charity.

First lady Melania Trump and Donald Trump Jr. said the video was very disturbing, and that it makes people wonder about the mental health of the person who posted it.

Griffin did have some support from columnist Kyle Smith and civil rights attorney Lisa Bloom. They did not see the video as a threat against the president.

No one knows what the Secret Service plans to do. For now, the investigation is still ongoing.