Otto Warmbier was released from imprisonment in North Korea and returned home to Ohio on Tuesday in a coma. Warmbier is currently at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center and is in a Stable Condition. However, according to a hospital spokeswoman Kelly Martin, the 22-year-old has suffered what they term a “severe neurological injury.” Warmbier’s mother is by his side in the hospital and doctors are reportedly planning an update on his condition later on Thursday.

Fred Warmbier speaks out about his son’s medical condition

The student’s father, Fred Warmbier doesn’t believe that his son’s condition was caused by a sleeping pill and botulism, as told by North Korean officials.

He stressed there was no reason for North Korea to deny his son top medical care and he doesn’t understand why they kept Otto’s condition a secret.

It is a bittersweet reunion for Fred, who said at a news conference at the Wyoming High School that his feelings are mixed, with relief that his son is now home but with anger over the brutal treatment received by him in North Korea. According to Otto’s father, he has no idea why the totalitarian state decided to release his son, but said it wasn’t out of the “kindness of their hearts.” He also called on North Korea to release the other Americans currently imprisoned there.

Fred Warmbier told Fox News on Wednesday his son had been brutalized and terrorized in the 17 months he spent in detention and that he has been in a coma for over a year.

Warmbier said Otto went into a coma the day after he was sentenced.

North Korea state they released the student for ‘humanitarian reasons’

Otto had been serving a 15-year sentence with hard labor in North Korea, but was released early, with the Korean Central News Agency reporting Thursday that his release was for “humanitarian reasons.” However the agency only mentioned that Warmbier had been sentenced to hard labor in the country, but did not mention his medical condition.

He was medically evacuated from North Korea and arrived in Cincinnati late on Tuesday, where he was taken by ambulance to the hospital.

The Sacramento Bee reported that a former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, Bill Richardson, called for an investigation into Warmbier’s treatment. Richardson credited the State Department with the successful return of Warmbier, but said a response by the U.S.

government will be required if it is found there was a cover-up relating to Otto’s condition and if he had not received proper medical treatment.

Otto was detained in North Korea on January 2, 2016 at the Pyongyang International Airport after visiting that country with Young Pioneer Tours. He was alleged to have stolen a propaganda and was charged with committing “crimes against the state.” Warmbier was sentenced to 15 years of hard labor after a trial in March last year.