The results of the French presidential election are in an it was a hard blow to those on the far right. After Donald Trump offered his thoughts on Twitter, he was met with fierce backlash from his fellow social media users.

Trump on Twitter

The final two candidates in the race to be the next President Of France were Emmanuel Macron of the liberal En Marche! party, and Marine Le Pen of the far-right National Front. Following the election of Donald Trump in the United States last November, the thought of a Le Pen victory became a strong possibility, and she took her message on nationalism and anti-immigration to rally angry citizens in the country.

Leading up to the race, Le Pen received increased criticism from those in the West who have pointed to the struggles of Trump in the United States as a reason to keep her out of office. On Sunday, voters went to the polls and the results were clear. Macron wrapped up the election with almost 66 percent, and over 20 million votes. Le Pen, on the other hand, fell flat with 34 percent, pulling in around 10 million votes. While many assumed that Trump was on the side of his French counterpart, he's been relatively quiet when it comes to the election. After the results were announced, Trump took to Twitter on May 7 to give his thoughts.

Taking to Twitter on Sunday, Donald Trump gave his support to Emmanuel Macron, wishing him well in the process.

"Congratulations to Emmanuel Macron on his big win today as the next President of France," Trump tweeted out, before adding, "I look very much forward to working with him!"

Twitter reacts

Following Donald Trump's remarks on Twitter, many social media users decided to chime in and push back at the former host of "The Apprentice." "Dear France, Congratulations!

Would you like to trade? Your Friend, America," Rob Szczerba tweeted out.

"We certainly have a lot to learn from our much more reasonable and forward-thinking global neighbors," writer Jules Suzdaltsev‏ wrote on Twitter.

"You mean President Pence will be working with Macron. You'll be too busy playing golf (or in prison) after your impeachment,' Podcaster David Nuzzy Nussbaum‏ tweeted. In a follow-up tweet, Nussbaum noted, "our buddy/puppet master Putin tried to change this election too with a last minute email dump. Did you call him and offer your condolences?"

"Not as much as you'd have looked forward to conspiring with Marine Le Pen," author Joe Papp wrote on his Twitter account, before also noting, "Thankfully #France rejected your toxic ethno-nationalism." The tweets kept pouring in as it was clear that many Americans weren't buying Donald Trump's remarks on the French election.

Follow the page Donald Trump
Follow
Don't miss our page on Facebook!