After receiving multiple reports about sick dogs, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) launched an investigation into two specific Dog food products from 'Blue Buffalo' and 'Wellness'. Both of these brands were found to have an excess amount of beef thyroid hormones which, according to the FDA can cause symptoms such as increased thirst and urination, weight loss, increased heart rate, and restlessness. A continuous diet of food with excess thyroid hormones could cause weight loss, vomiting, diarrhea, and rapid or difficulty breathing.

The culprits?

  • 'Wellness 95% Beef Topper for Dogs' 13.2 ounce can. Look for cans with best-by dates of "02 FEB 19", "29 AUG 19" and "30 AUG 19."
  • 'Blue Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe Red Meat Dinner Wet Food for Adult Dogs' 12.6 ounce can containing the UPC Code 840243101153. Look for best-by date of June 7, 2019 printed on the bottom of the can

How did this happen?

During the mid 1980's the U.S. Centers for Disease Control investigated an outbreak of thyrotoxicosis that affected 121 residents of Minnesota, South Dakota and Iowa. The source of the outbreak was traced back to a beef trimming plant near Laverne, MN where gullet trimming was used to harvest meat from the larynx of cattle, resulting in parts of the thyroid being included with the meat.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture subsequently banned gullet trimmings in beef and pork for human consumption. However, no such ban is in place for pet food products.

How to get a refund?

According to 'Food Safety News', the FDA received one complaint about a dog getting sick from Blue Buffalo's product, and three associated with Wellness' product.

If you have purchased any of the above products, immediately cease feeding your dog these products and either toss it or return the food to the retailer it was purchased through. Buyers will be eligible for a full refund for any of the affected foods. If any of your pets have ingested any of these foods and are exhibiting the listed symptoms from earlier, owners are encouraged to bring their dogs to the vet immediately.

Don't miss our page on Facebook!