On October 4, Islamic militants attacked a group of 12 American and Nigerian troops in West Africa. Four U.S soldiers were killed and two others were wounded. Ten Nigerian troops were also killed in the ambush. About 50 extremists ambushed the unarmored truck on its way back from the capital of Niamey. The ISIS-affiliated militants were carrying guns and rocket-propelled grenades.

The four U.S soldiers who died in the attack were Sgt. La David Johnson, 25; Staff Sgt. Bryan Black, 35; Staff Sgt. Jeremiah Johnson 39; and Staff Sgt. Dustin Wright, 29.

Condolence Call

The White House was criticized for their sloppy response to the death of the four soldiers. President Donald Trump was silent for nearly two weeks until Wednesday when a Democratic congresswoman from Florida and the mother of Sgt. La David Johnson said that the President was insensitive in how he expressed his condolences to the widowed wife of the soldier.

The widow of Sgt. La David Johnson, Myeshia Johnson, finally made her first public statement two days after the burial of her former husband. She recalled her conversation with the President who called her on the same day the remains of the soldiers were flown to the United States.

Mrs. Johnson expressed her disappointment in the President’s remarks, saying his tone of voice was insensitive.

She recalled him saying that her husband “knew what he signed up for, but it hurts anyways.” According to Business Insider, the widow was hurt when the President seemed to stumble remembering her husband's name. She said that it pains her knowing that her husband died for his country, yet the President cannot remember his name.

President Trump took to his Twitter account to say that he had been very respectful in his conversation with Mrs. Johnson and insisted that he knew her husband's name from the beginning.

Mrs. Johnson said that she had not seen the remains of her husband and that authorities would not let her see them each time she asked. She said that she has a lot of further questions that need to be answered.

On-going investigation

Sgt. Johnson’s body was found 48 hours after the attack, about a mile away from the ambush scene. The Pentagon is still investigating the exact circumstances regarding the death of Johnson who was separated from the 11 other members of the Special Forces and 30 Nigerian partner forces.

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Joseph Dunford refused to comment about the investigation's details in a press conference at Pentagon on Monday. He apparently asked for a “bit of patience” as they continue with their probing.

Sgt. La David Johnson was a mechanic in 3rd Special Forces Group that was consorted with the forces in Niger. He was expecting a baby girl from his wife who is now six months pregnant. He was also the father of a two-year-old son and a six-year-old daughter.