On October 9, 1983, the lifeless body of Timothy Coggins was discovered lying in a thicket in Sunnyside area, which is situated around 30 miles south of downtown Atlanta, Georgia.

Coggins, aged 23 at the time, was brutally murdered and his body dumped near the area's power lines according to police in Georgia, Fox News reported.

On further examination, the body showed extensive signs of trauma, but the murder investigation ground to a halt due to lack of sufficient evidence and eye-witness accounts.

Over last summer, authorities in Georgia announced through the media that the Case had been reopened after new evidence emerged.

The renewed interest in the case by authorities, led to a breakthrough, as police received more tips, and previously reluctant witnesses came forward, with new leads which resulted in the arrests.

Arrests and charges

At a news conference, Darrel Dix, the Spalding County Sherrif said five people were arrested on Friday and charged with various crimes, all connected to the murder of Coggins, 34 years ago.

Two of the arrested suspects were serving law enforcement officers, who have since been fired in light of the allegations. Dix added that the murder was racially motivated, and the accused would have been charged with hate crimes if the murder had occurred in the present time.

The Sherrif said the accused persons were, Bill Moore Snr, 58-years old and Frankie Gebhardt, 59.

The two were arraigned in court on charges of murder and aggravated assault among other crimes.

The Sherrif's office did not provide further details on the two but said a bail application hearing that took place on Saturday morning, denied the two accused bond.

Other arrested suspects

Fox News reported that a Detention officer, who was employed by the County Sherrif's office in Spalding, Gregory Huffman, 47, was charged with obstruction of justice and violation of oath of office.

A bond of $35,000 was set for the two counts. Soon after his arrest, Huffman was fired from his job.

The last two suspects arrested in connection with the murder of Coggins are a mother and son; Sandra Bunn,58 and Lamar Bunn. The two were charged with obstruction and released on the same day on a bond of $706.75.

Lamar is a police officer attached to Milner police station.

The town of Milner is situated south of Spalding County.

Motive for the murder

Sheriff Dix declined to divulge the motive for the murder, saying the details would emerge during the trial. He did hint though, that the murder was extremely brutal, and was meant to send a certain message.

Coggins family, who were present during the press conference said they had held out all this time, hoping to find justice for Coggins one day.