Daniel Stephen Mitchell, an 18-year-old resident of Fairfield, was arrested by the Suisun City Police for several felony charges. These included firearm possession after a reported burglary. He has also been charged with child cruelty after leaving his son – just 16 days old -- in a mall’s Parking Lot in Suisun City at around 3:15 in the afternoon. The infant was found by Eric Keeton, a barber who saw the car seat in the parking lot when he was working on a client.

Keeton right away went to the parking lot and got the shock of his life when he saw the baby still strapped in the car seat.

The infant was wrapped in a blanket and had his binky to himself. He took the child to his shop and called the police.

How did the police find the accused?

The Fairfield police found Mitchell at the site of a crash which took place right after he abandoned his baby boy in the Suisan City Strip Mall. The accused was first transported to NorthBay Medical Centre so that someone could tend to his injuries. He was questioned and later arrested by the Fairfield police.

The Suisun City police department has been updating the child’s health status on its official Facebook page. The infant is now being cared for by the Child Protective Services. The baby boy was in critical condition when he was first brought to the hospital, but he is now stable state.

What are the charges levied against Mitchell?

According to the jail booking records, Mitchell was previously charged with felony when he was on bail. He has presently been charged with unlawful possession of a controlled substance, which the police suspect is cocaine. According to records, he was scheduled to appear in court on Wednesday, July 26, and the bail was set at a whopping $500,000.

The Suisun City police recorded a statement from the mother of the child, and she has been cleared from any suspicion for the time being. Kay Grewal, the manager of the Mega Smoke Shop at 141 Sunset Avenue, saw Mitchell get out of his car. To her, it appeared that the man was making sure the area was clear before leaving the baby in its car seat in the parking lot.

Her suspicions were right, and she rescued the unattended infant from the vehicle. The police have been able to retrieve the footage of the incident taking place from the security cameras of the mall’s parking lot. People feared the worst, thinking that the infant’s mother might have been kidnapped or was involved in some accident and injured. Thankfully, the baby boy is doing well now and is safe.