After the New York Times published images of the scene of Monday’s terror attack at Manchester Arena, U.K. officials are angered at what they perceive to be damaging leaks to the U.S. media. It has now been decided that, for the meantime, the U.K. will no longer share information about terror attacks with the U.S.

Sensitive images published by The New York Times

The New York Times published images showing the remains of the explosive device used in the attack, along with a backpack and detonator used by Salman Abedi, 22, in the blast at Manchester Arena, shortly after Ariana Grande’s concert ended.

The blast left 22 people dead and a further 64 injured, according to latest reports. The Greater Manchester Police, who are overseeing the investigation into the terror attack, is now “furious” with the U.S., saying the leak is undermining their efforts in investigating the incident.

As noted by Newsweek, the report in the New York Times follows several leaks relating to the investigation of the incident which could be traced back to U.S. sources. It was reportedly the U.S. media, citing U.S. officials, that was first to report on the initial death toll from the Manchester Arena explosion and the identity of the attacker, before U.K.

officials were ready to release that information.

The U.S. just ‘blurts things out’

Newsweek quotes a former U.K. intelligence chief, who anonymously said of the U.S. and their media sources that they don’t understand the complexities of the situation.

He said they just blurt it out and this is really unhelpful. He added that by comparison, the British are “pretty disciplined.”

According to a report by the BBC, Britain’s Home Secretary, Amber Rudd said on Wednesday, just hours before the leak, that she had been irritated by the U.S. media’s disclosures and that she had spoken to authorities in the U.S.

Rudd added at the time that this should not happen again. However, it did happen again, and now Britain is turning on the U.S. relating to its conduct.

‘Unauthorized disclosure’ of information by the U.S.

The U.K.’s National Police Chiefs Council deemed the “unauthorized disclosure” of information and photos relating to the blast to be a breach that could be potentially damaging to a “major counter-terror investigation.” The Mayor of Manchester, Andy Burnham, also expressed concerns relating to the leaks, saying he had already spoken to the U.S. Ambassador to Britain about the matter.

Investigation into Manchester Arena attack is ongoing

The Greater Manchester Police confirmed Wednesday that their investigations are ongoing and that a probe into a wider network related to Abedi is being carried out.

Two further suspects were arrested Thursday morning relating to the terror attack, which brings the total of arrests to eight, including Abedi’s brother.

U.K. Prime Minister Theresa May will reportedly raise her concerns over the leaks with U.S. President Donald Trump at an upcoming NATO meeting. After the latest terror attack in the U.K. the country’s threat level has now been set at “critical” – the highest possible level – for the first time in ten years, since the 7/7 bombings. Around 5,000 British troops have been deployed to protect sensitive sites in the U.K.

Don't miss our page on Facebook!