Moments before the plane crashed, the Australian pilot reported a “catastrophic engine failure” before crashing into the Shopping Mall killing all four on board. It was confirmed by the U.S. Embassy in Melbourne that the four passengers on board were Americans.

An official embassy statement from Australia’s capital said that the U.S. Consulate in Melbourne is working closely with the U.S. Embassy in Canberra and local authorities to provide any consular assistance needed by the families of the victims.

Two victims named on social media

According to a report by USA Today, two victims, both from Texas, were identified on social media by their families as Russell Munsch and Greg Reynolds De Haven.

A Facebook post by De Haven’s sister, Denelle Wicht spoke of her brother’s “once in a lifetime” trip to Australia. According to that post her brother and his friends were flying on a charter flight to another island in Australia to play golf.

The pilot of the plane has been named as Max Quartermain, who is reportedly the owner of the charter company involved, Corporate and Leisure Travel. Sky News Australia quoted Victoria’s Premier, Daniel Andrews, as saying the crash was the worst aviation accident in the state in the last 30 years.

Andrews passed on his sympathies to the families of the crash victims, saying they are reaching out to their families to offer support.

Small plane takes off with 4 U.S. passengers on board

The small plane was reportedly a twin-engine Beechcraft Super King Air. It took off at 9 a.m. local time with the pilot and four passengers on board from the second largest airport in Melbourne, located in the suburb of Essendon on what was to be a golfing trip out to King Island.

According to police authorities, the island is located some 160 miles off Tasmania, but the plane crashed into a storage area at the shopping mall next to the airport shortly after takeoff, but fortunately 45 minutes prior to the opening of the mall.

CBS quotes Stephen Leane, Police Assistant Commissioner, as saying it was lucky that no one else was killed or injured in the incident, especially with the fireball that occurred when the small plane crashed. Reportedly police and paramedics immediately headed to the crash site, along with fire fighters. According to reports, investigations are still ongoing into the cause of the crash.