Sunday was a terrific day for Manchester football fans across both ends of the city as United and City both registered victories in their respective matches. United's win helped them consolidate their position in the second place with Liverpool closely following while City's win meant the Sky Blues lifted the first trophy of their season.

Dominating City snuff out Arsenal challenge to lift Carabao Cup

With Mesut Ozil making a return for the Gunners and manchester city's shocking loss at the hands of Wigan in the FA cup it was expected that the match would be a tight affair.

In the early minutes of the game, it was the english premier league table toppers who pressed at the Arsenal goal, but the Gunners' defense stood resolutely to keep the scoreboard reading 0-0. On the other end, Arsenal came close courtesy a splendid play from Aaron Ramsey, Ozil but failed to score as Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang struggled to test Claudio Bravo. Aubameyang's miss returned to haunt him when Bravo's goal kick surprisingly found Sergio Aguero after Shkodran Mustafi was caught napping in defense.

Aguero, unlike his Arsenal counterpart, managed to score with ease as he dinked the ball over Ospina to put the Citizens ahead in the 18th minute. The Gunners tried to turn the tables on City keeping the ball in their possession for long spells but lacked the clinical finish required to bring the match back to level terms.

The half ended with City leading 1-0. The one-goal cushion that City had did not stop them from attacking the Arsenal goal in the second half and the Sky Blues came agonizingly close in the 48th minute and continued to pressurize Arsenal. However, the Gunners were presented with an easy chance to get back into the game due to a slip-up from Hector Bellerin and Bravo, but Aubameyang failed yet again to the Arsenal fans' dismay.

City made Arsenal pay for their mistakes when skipper Vincent Kompany scored off a corner from Ilkay Gundogan in the 58th minute to put the Citizens two goals ahead in the crucial final. It looked as if Arsenal was fighting a losing battle and needed some miracle to keep their hopes of winning the EFL alive. However, it was Manchester City striker David Silva who struck the last blow to Arsenal's hopes when the Spaniard finished beautifully in the 65th minute.

Arsenal could never find their rhythm back after Silva's goal, and City lifted their third Efl Cup in the history of the competition resuming their formidable season after a small hiccup against Wigan in the FA Cup.

Lingard and Lukaku salvage three points for the Red Devils

When the two sides last met at Stamford Bridge, it was the Blues who had come out victorious in the end, and when the referee blew the whistle to signal the start of the game, it was once again Chelsea who started the match on the offensive. The visitors almost went one-up in the fifth minute of the match when Eden Hazard and Marcos Alonso combined superbly to create a goal-scoring opportunity for Alvaro Morata. Although Morata showed great technique, he only managed to find the crossbar.

After an upbeat start from Chelsea, it was United's chance to press at the visitors' goal, and they came close in the 28th minute when Alexis Sanchez whipped one into the hands of Thibaut Courtois. After a period of scrappy play from both the sides, it was the visitors who finally broke the deadlock in the 32nd minute courtesy an all-around play from Willian.

The Brazilian cleared the ball from his own half and after a perfect assist from Hazard found himself in a scoring position. Willian welcomed the opportunity with open arms and slotted one home to put Chelsea in the lead. The match once again seemed to be heading to a similar ending, but Sanchez and Martial had other plans in mind.

The two United wingers combined to free Romelu Lukaku who netted the ball to level things for United in the 39th minute.

The goal woke up the Red Devils who started the second half on the attacking front testing the Chelsea defense. However, all the intent was in vain because they lacked the clinical play needed to take a decisive lead in the match.

The inevitable came in the 75th minute after Jesse Lingard was called on for Martial, Lukaku was once again in the middle of a United goal when the Belgian put a lovely ball inside the box which was met by an unstoppable header from Lingard and up went the United fans.

From then on, it was United all the way as the Blues struggled to test David De Gea and the United defense. The final whistle was blown and with that United inflicted sweet revenge while going up to the second place in the English Premier League.