A proposed crossover bout between former five-division boxing world champion Floyd Mayweather and the current UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor seems to be getting closer to becoming a reality, with a date and venue now reportedly set for the lucrative boxing match between the pair. Flo Combat reports that sources close to the MMA news site claim that both Mayweather and McGregor have settled on June 10 for their fight with the T-Mobile Arena the desired location for the bout.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Mayweather vs McGregor - Las Vegas

Sources have claimed that officials at the T-Mobile Arena (the largest arena in Las Vegas) have been told to reserve June 10 as both Mayweather and McGregor try to put a contract together for their bout. Both men have a history in 'the fight capital of the world' with Mayweather's last 12 fights all taking place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, whilst five of McGregor's last seven UFC appearances have taken place in Vegas.

Advertisement

However, McGregor hasn't fought in the state since being fined a reported $150,000 by the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) for his involvement in a bottle-throwing incident with UFC 202 opponent Nate Diaz prior to their bout in August of last year. McGregor was critical of the NAC following the fine and even told UFC president Dana White that he wouldn't fight in Vegas again.

Mayweather comes out of retirement for McGregor

Mayweather retired with an undefeated professional record of 49-0 following a unanimous decision victory over Andre Berto in September 2015 stating that he wanted to finish his career with the same record as his hero Rocky Marciano.

However, Mayweather officially announced last week that he was coming out of retirement to face UFC champion McGregor after over a year's worth of speculation. Speaking to Fighthype last week Mayweather addressed McGregor telling him to stop "crying about money" and to "sign the paper with the UFC so you can fight me in June".

Mayweather & McGregor vs the UFC

Despite reports that Mayweather and McGregor are coming closer to agreeing on a deal, there is still no word from UFC president Dana White regarding their stance on talks moving forward.

McGregor is still under contract with the UFC which means they will need to play a part in the negotiations.

White had originally dismissed talks of the potential bout as nonsense before offering Mayweather a purse which the boxer quickly laughed off. Although progress is being made, there is still a long way to go before a fight is made official.

Don't miss our page on Facebook!
Click to read more