The news coming from the Dakota Access oil pipeline confirms a relatively recent incident of vandalism. The developer of the facilities, Energy Transfer Partners LP, wrote in court documents filed on Monday that the company believed there were "coordinated physical attacks along the pipeline" along the pipeline connecting oil from between Dakotas, Iowa, and Illinois, without detailing the exact whereabouts of the damages. South Dakota authorities are currently investing the claims.

Someone burned a hole

According to Reuters, the Lincoln County Sheriff's Office was alerted on Friday of a small crack on the pipeline outside Canton, South Dakota.

Lincoln County Sheriff Deputy Chad Brown confirmed one incident of “felony vandalism,” saying that someone has burned a hole in the pipeline at an above the ground valve site on Friday, March 13. Mahaska County Sheriff Russel Van Renterghem in Iowa says that it appears the culprit maneuvered under a fence around the facility to perform these acts. The pipeline operators are asked to inform the National Response Center of any security breaches, but data on the website shows no reports this month from ETP.

The Energy Transfer Partners spokeswoman Vicki Granado said in an email to Reuters that she was not commenting beyond the information in the filing that was made. No suspects were immediately identified, but the local, state and FBI officials are continuing with the investigations, as ETP plans to have oil flowing this week.

Officials are also restoring traffic around the stretch of North Dakota highway, which was closed for months because of the protests against the Dakota Access oil pipeline. The $3.8 billion pipeline is getting ready to move oil.

Environmentalists claim no responsibility

Environmental activism is happening in four states as activists are protesting the Dakota Access Pipeline, disrupting some oil operations in four states.

Climate Direct Action activists wanted pipelines in the following areas shut in October: North Dakota, Minnesota, Montana, and Washington. Native American tribes and these activists have closed in on the areas to force a reroute, to avoid polluting the areas. A federal judge denied a request made by a tribe, so the protester camps were cleared by law enforcement late last month. Jay O’Hara, a spokesman for the environmental group, told the Associated Press that Climate Direct Action was not involved and that he was not aware of anyone claiming responsibility.