One woman confirmed dead

Terror has struck Russell Square in central London, leaving one victim dead. The woman, who was in her 60's, was a casualty in a knife attack that took place at Russell Square at approximately 1:57 a.m. local time (according to the Telegraph). At the time of this writing, it has also been confirmed that four men and another woman were also injured as a result of said attack.

The suspect was arrested by police after arriving on the scene, and while nothing as of yet has been confirmed, officials are looking into possible links to and/or affiliation with known terrorist organizations.

Latest in string of attacks in Europe

This latest attack comes on the heels of an announcement that more officers were going to be put on patrol in an effort to bolster anti-terrorism plans. As recently as this past Sunday, Metropolitan Police Chief Sir Bernard Hogan-Howesaid that a terror attack on United Kingdom soil was not a matter of if, but when.

In light of the terrorist attack that took place in Nice, France last month -- leaving 84 dead -- the alert level of neighboring nations has no doubt been raised. There has certainly been an increase in lone wolf attacks in recent months, and perhaps this knife-wielder is but the latest in an ongoing string of such violent attacks.

The suspect in question has been confirmed to be a 19-year-old man, currently hospitalized and in police custody.

The question of mental health and stability has been raised, however, at this time, both this question and questions regarding ties to possible terror organizations remain unanswered.

In response to the current shock in the aftermath of this latest tragedy, there will be an increased police presence, including armed officers.

As this is currently a developing story, details are likely to emerge as they become available. However, from what we know so far, a 19-year-old man has been arrested, hospitalized, and placed in police custody as a result of the unidentified man carrying out a knife attack in Russell Square that has left one victim dead, and five more injured.