Today the Oklahoma City Thunder and reigning league MVP Russell Westbrook agreed on a massive contract. In other news around the NBA, the Atlanta Hawks starting point guard Dennis Schroeder has been arrested over an incident that occurred early this morning.

Westbrook inks extension to stay in OKC

League sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski that the Oklahoma City Thunder and star point guard Russell Westbrook have agreed on a five-year, $205 million contract extension. The first year of the deal starts in 2018-19, as Westbrook was entering the final year of his contract before the deal.

The reigning MVP now possesses the largest guaranteed contract in the history of the sport at $233 million over six seasons. League sources also informed Wojnarowksi that the deal includes a player option for the 2022-23 season.

Last season Westbrook became only the second player to ever average a triple-double as he led the Thunder to a 47-35 record as the 6th seed in the West. This offseason the team was committed to surrounding him with talent in order to get him to stay by trading for All-Stars Paul George and Carmelo Anthony.

Westbrook said in a statement that he was “so honored” to continue his career with the only franchise that he has ever known. Some pointed out that this extension came on former teammate Kevin Durant's birthday, which was likely not a coincidence.

Schroeder arrested in Atlanta

Meanwhile, the Atlanta Hawks received less exciting news about their starting point guard today.

Court records show that Dennis Schroeder was arrested early this morning at a hookah bar in Brookhaven, a suburb of Atlanta, where the point guard lives.

According to TMZ Sports and later confirmed by police reports, Schroeder started a fight at the bar that was caught on a security camera. He shoved the victim down and then he and others hit him using their hands and feet.

The police report also said that the victim complained of pain in his right knee and suffered scratches on it. Brookhaven's police department told ESPN in an e-mail that the video of the incident would not be released due to pending prosecution.

Schroeder was arrested and charged with misdemeanour battery, though he has since been released on bail. The Hawks released a generic statement saying that they were aware of the incident, that they were gathering information and that they would comment no further on the situation.