Canelo Alvarez’s promoter Oscar De La Hoya has given Gennady golovkin a significant offer for a potential super fight in September of 2017. According to canelo’s promoter Oscar De La Hoya (CEO of Golden Boy Promotions), the offer that has been made to Golovkin is 2 to 3 times as much as he’s made in his career. The offer was made as recently as a month ago and Golovkin’s team have not denied there has been some negotiating with Golden Boy, but wouldn’t get into specifics on what exactly was offered to Golovkin for a Canelo fight next year in what is being built as the next super fight in boxing.

Oscar De La Hoya's offer to Gennady Golovkin

Canelo Alvarez and Oscar De La Hoya raised eyebrows in the boxing industry by revealing that a recent offer had been made to the three belt unified middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin, following Canelo’s knockout win over Great Britain’s Liam Smith this past Saturday in front of over 51,000 fans mostly in support of Canelo at the AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

According to the Oscar De La Hoya, the offer made to Golovkin is in the 8 figure range with unspecified pay-per-view upside. An offer De La Hoya sees as more than fair since he views Canelo as the bigger star fighter compared to Golovkin and that the type of money Golovkin can make is not something he can get fighting anybody else in the boxing world.

“If you say I’m going to offer you $2 million, well, guess what?

I’m offering you a substantial amount. Eight figures,” De La Hoya said. “Take the offer, sign the contract and let’s make the fight. Stop calling people clowns.

“There’s obviously pay-per-view upside and if he’s (Golovkin) not happy with what I’m offering, good luck to him fighting someone where he can make that money. He never will,” De La Hoya told the boxing press.

Canelo Alvarez plans for next fight

Canelo Alvarez will not be fighting Gennady Golovkin next but his team plan to fight once more before the year is out.

The working date for Canelo’s return is December 10 and they’re looking to enter a new market in perhaps bringing Canelo to fight at the Mecca of Boxing at the famed Madison Square Garden. The plan of course is for Canelo to fight two more times in December and then May of next year before the big fight with Golovkin in September of 2017 possibly at Jerry World.

Don't miss our page on Facebook!
Click to read more