Though it’s sure to be edited back to something more professional-looking, the Wikipedia entry for Joey Bosa says it all – he is “NOT an American Football defensive end for the San Diego Chargers.” At the moment, though, he isn’t one yet. Negotiations on the signing bonus of the third-overall pick of the 2016 NFL draft had recently bogged down, with the Chargers rescinding their contract offer to the former Ohio State defensive end, despite its extremely lucrative nature.

Chargers claim Bosa signing bonus is most lucrative since 2014

Looking at his credentials, Joey Bosa has the potential to be a star in the NFL. He has great bloodlines, as his father John played in the NFL, while his brother Nick is still playing college football for the Ohio State Buckeyes. At 6’5”-270, he has good size, was consensus All-American in 2014 and 2015, and had a strong scouting combine, with a 40-yard dash time of 4.84 and 28 reps in the bench press.

But the young man who was the top defensive selection in the 2016 NFL draft, coming right after quarterbacks Jared Goff and Carson Wentz, is now the only first-round pick who has yet to sign with an NFL team.

Both the Chargers and Bosa’s agent Brian Ayrault have particularly been at loggerheads regarding how much of the $17 million signing bonus will be paid to Bosa in the current calendar year, and how much will be paid out in March 2017. The signing bonus is, according to the Chargers, the largest among all 2015 and 2016 draftees.

Don’t miss the latest news!
Click on the topic you interest most. We'll keep you updated with all the news you shouldn't miss.
NFL

Bosa could miss entire preseason after missing all of training camp

For a lot of Chargers fans, Bosa’s continued holdout has become frustrating, as there’s a good chance he will miss all of the NFL preseason like he did training camp. Initially, Ayrault had wanted the entire $17 million signing bonus to be paid in 2016, and while he has softened his stance since then, the Chargers apparently haven’t been able to offer anything satisfactory to the agent.

Between July 28 and August 23, the Chargers’ offer had gone from 57 percent to be paid out in 2016 to 85 percent, but with Ayrault demanding a “number higher” than San Diego’s best offer, the Chargers have decided to withdraw their contract offer.

Bosa camp fires back, says Chargers manipulated the facts

The Chargers released their own statement explaining their side, as well as the reason they would be pulling the contract offer – as Bosa has missed training camp and most of the preseason, they feel he won’t be as big a contributor in his rookie year as they had hoped.

The team added that they are planning to “restructure” the offer to take all that into account.

But in their own statement, Bosa’s representatives have accused the Chargers of “(manipulating) facts” and of doing their own negotiations with the press. The reps said Wednesday evening that the Chargers’ statement is an “ironic” one, as San Diego chose not to make any move in the first two weeks of training camp, and did not reply to their proposal made on the eve of July 28, which is when training camp kicked off.

They stressed that they will continue pushing for a “fair contract” consistent with Bosa’s status as the third overall pick in the 2016 draft.

Don't miss our page on Facebook!
Click to read more