Benadryl intoxication caused the death of baby Adam Seagull, reported Fox News on July 22. Adam Seagullisthe Shelton, Connecticut 4-month-old who died on March 22 at an unlicensed day care. Originally Fairfax investigators said it looked like a case of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome). Authorities had no reason to suspect foul play as the child had no apparent injury, trauma or illness. But police say a toxicologist report told another story. Adam Seagull had massive quantities of the antihistamine Benadryl in his blood.

Why would a day care give an infant Benadryl?

A good day care wouldn't and that's why police haveupgraded the death of Adam Seagull from accident to homicide. The baby's day care provider had cared for children in her home for 11 years so she had experience with children and presumably understood child safety issues. A day care would not use Benadryl--a trade name for diphenhydramine--with young children as an adult antihistamine is contraindicated in kids under 12. There is a children's Benadryl product but that is not to be used in children under 6.

A day care worker could not have inadvertently given the Seagull baby too much as might happen with infant Tylenol or other products used with babies. The little one could not have accidentally gotten into as he is not yet crawling around. Anyway, no day care should have antihistamine products near children. So homicide was the verdict. No suspects have been named in the death of Adam Seagull.

Why is Benadryl dangerous for children?

Benadryl, says WebMD, is ahistamine blocker used to treat seasonal allergies, allergic reactions, itching, itchy or watery eyes, hay fever and colds.

Did you really miss it?
Click on the button below to stay up to date on the news you cannot miss, as soon as they happen.
Donald Trump

Benadryl has a sedative effect and causes extreme drowsiness. Diphenhydramine and other antihistamines have been used as sleep aids or to control motion sickness or travel problems.Zzzquil a multi-symptom cold remedy contains an antihistamine for sleeplessness. Diphenhydramine is a kind of tranquilizerwhich can produce intoxication, impairment and even death, particularly when used other than in recommended dosages. Singer Bobby Brown died of Xanax and Benadryl overdose. Parents should exercise extreme caution when using diphenhydramine with children.

WebMD says it's not even particular effective in treating viruses. Here are other strategies on fighting infection in kids.

Don't miss our page on Facebook!
Click to read more