A Wisconsin boy aged four ended up in hospital after swallowing parts of a toy at Christmas time. His mom shared the story on Facebook to warn other parents of the dangers. It turns out that his present had some magnets in it and he nearly died. Now stable and being treated in hospital, the little boy faces a future with parts of his intestines, appendix and colon removed.

Magnets inside a toy given to Wisconsin boy

According to kgun9.com, on her Facebook, Jennifer White wrote that he had to go into surgery [VIDEO] where "they had to remove part of his colon, intestines, and appendix.

Advertisement
Advertisement

The magnets created holes and infection in his intestines." Apparently, the magnets - 13 of them - did what they are designed to do, which is to find another magnet and pair up. This caused terrible distress for the little boy as they caused perforations, which of course, brings along infections.

While feeling terrible that her son was harmed, his mom shared the story as the plastic toy that contains the magnets can break or be opened.

Advertisement

Her concern is that even family pets or other children might chew on them. If they swallow the silver magnets inside the toy, it could cause terrible complications or even death. She felt totally certain the toys were safe, but it seems they are not. While her son is autistic, any child of that age may see the shiny objects and swallow them.

Symptoms of four-year-old

Symptoms included vomiting brown stuff that looked like coffee grounds.

That's when they realized their son Beck had something other than the flu. An X-ray revealed the magnets inside his digestive system. Reaching out after the experience, Jennifer said, "I feel guilty AF and horrible posting this but I don’t want another child to go through this. If you have little ones or chewers these are dangerous and we’re removing them from our home. Dogs could also break these open too."

The warning on social media comes at a time when critics quickly mom-shame parents, so speaking up is sometimes a rarity. Thankfully, Jennifer did speak up and could save other children or pets from a similar fate.

Historical instance of children swallowing magnets

Actually, reports of children swallowing magnets surfaced in the past. In January this year, parents warned of magnetic objects swallowed by their child. On "The Doctors" show, doctors discussed the problem. The magnets linked together - 28 of them - and "formed a circle in her bowl." They started to cause a perforation of the bowel. They are tiny magnets, but very strong.

Advertisement

Sonia Batra, MD said that they are very strong magnets. Another doctor said while they are fun things for older kids to play with, if there are young kids in the home, it's best not to take the chance.

Another instance [VIDEO] reported by CNN six years ago involved a child swallowing her mother's magnetic bracelet. Apparently, dozens of similar reports had been made via hospitals. The little magnetic balls may be shaped into anything, and in that instance, she made them into a bracelet.

Advertisement

Magnets and little kids don't mix

Magnets and little kids really don't mix it seems. They are pretty, bright, and often small enough to swallow without much effort. Seemingly harmless, they can cause devastating damage to children. The CNN coverage noted that one little boy suffered so much damage that he needed an intestinal transplant.

Stay in touch with Viral News by following Blasting Pop.

Don't miss our page on Facebook!
Click to read more