On Thursday, the world woke up to the news that #Barcelona, Spain fell victim to yet another terrorist attack.

A total of 13 people were killed and dozens left injured when a driver swerved a van to the historic #Las Ramblas district. ISIS has since claimed responsibility for the attack.

First attack

The initial attack broke out in a tourist area in Barcelona, Spain, at the peak of vacation season. A van rammed into a crowd, killing and injuring people. The victims in the attack were mostly tourists.

According to Washington Post, authorities said that there were at least 15 people had serious injuries, and 13 were killed in the attack.

Advertisements
Advertisements

The death toll following the attack could possibly rise as well.

In relation to the Barcelona attack, a police officer told the reporters there were two men arrested, but the driver of the van remains at large.

Spain Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy said that the incident was caused by a “jihadist attack”.

Similar terror attacks in the past were also blamed and later claimed by ISIS.

The police are currently searching for the driver of the van after he fled on foot. Witnesses said that the driver of the van deliberately targeted people as it goes down the boulevard.

The second attack thwarted

Police said that they have shot and killed five people in #Cambrils to thwart the supposedly second terrorist attack in Spain. In the statement given by the police, they said the attackers were armed and equipped with explosive belts.

Advertisements

Eyewitnesses accounts from Cambrils say that “many gunshots” were heard as the police fired shots and killed people who were allegedly involved in the initial attack. An eyewitness said that he was on the promenade when he saw a man lying down, shot dead with a gunshot wound in his head. Another account said that he heard a lot of gunshots and shouting.

According to the authorities, the situation in Cambrils is already in control, however, they advised the people in town not to go out on the streets since there might still be perils of another terrorist attack. The authorities remain vigilant and are taking precautionary measures to maintain the safety of the people in Barcelona.

In another incident according to BBC News, a man was shot dead when he drove past the police at a checkpoint in the outskirts of Barcelona.

However, the reports said that there was no proof the man was in any way connected to the attack earlier in Las Ramblas in Barcelona or to the supposedly second attack in Cambrils.