After the brutal attack in Barcelona, where a driver plowed through pedestrians in the popular La Rambla promenade – killing 13 people and injuring more than 100 victims – the driver has still not been found. While initially it was believed that 17-year-old Moussa Oukabir was responsible, he has since been confirmed as dead after a police shooting in Cambrils.

Search for driver in deadly Barcelona attack continues

As reported by El Pais in English, immediately following the #Barcelona attack, Catalonia police were searching for Moussa Oukabir, the brother of arrested terror suspect Driss Oukabir, after it was found the van used in the attack was rented in his name.

Advertisements
Advertisements

However, just hours after the Barcelona #van attack, police shot five terrorists in the resort town of Cambrils and it has now been confirmed that Moussa Oukabir was among the suspects killed. In that incident, police shot four suspects, who were wearing fake suicide belts at the time after a car hit pedestrians. A fifth suspect was killed by police after he was tracked down by police helicopter. Six people were injured in the incident, including three police officers and one female victim died.

Newly identified suspect sought by police

Josep Lluís Trapero, head of the Mossos D’esquadra police, said Friday that while it is still a possibility that the 17-year-old was the #van driver, it is looking less likely as investigations continue.

Advertisements

Later on Friday police confirmed they are now searching for another suspect, 22-year-old Younes Abouyaaqoub, as the van driver. According to their statement Abouyaaqoub lives in Ripoll, where police have already made three arrests relating to the attacks in both Barcelona and Cambrils.

Initially it was thought Abouyaaqoub had died in the Cambrils shooting, however anti-terrorist sources later said he was still being sought and is believed to be among the chief suspects in the Barcelona attack.

Cambrils suspects identified

Mossos d'esquadra have now identified three of the five dead suspects in the Cambrils shooting as Moussa Oukabir, Mohamed Hychami and Said Aalaa.

Among the arrests made so far, Driss Oukabir, 28, was arrested Thursday. On Friday police arrested two suspects in Ripoll, with Mohamed Aalaa, 27 and Sahal El Karib, 34, taken into custody. A fourth suspect has also been arrested but has not yet been identified. Of the four suspects in custody so far, none have prior convictions relating to terror offenses.

Advertisements

Police say they are continuing investigations to dismantle a jihadist cell involved in planning the attacks which is believed to number 12 people, all of Moroccan origin and living in Ripoll. Trapero noted that the group had been preparing for the Barcelona attack over an extended period of time.

Father of terror suspects ‘shocked’

The Local reports that the father of Moussa and Driss Oukabar is "shocked" and "horrified" by the news of the Barcelona attack, which he reportedly heard while attending a family wedding. Said Oukabar told AFP the family is shocked and “completely devastated,” as he had believed Moussa was studying at school and that Driss had been working “honestly.” Said went on to say he hopes Driss will be found innocent as he doesn’t want to lose both his sons.