The era of #Windows Mobile phones is close to its end. July 12 is the last day that Microsoft will support #Windows 8.1 on cell phones. This era was started on July 15, 2014. End of Windows 8.1 suggests that only two mobile operating systems are left now. These are Android and iOS.

Details of the news

After seeing this news, some people would ask about Windows 10 mobiles. As a report on AdDuplex shows, only 20 percent of Windows mobiles operate in #Windows 10, which means the rest of 80 percent Windows mobiles have nothing to do with Windows 10 version. And they are still operating either on 8.1 or below. This report also includes those who refused to update their devices from 8.1 to 10 and were eligible to do so.

Advertisements
Advertisements

Causes of falling of Windows mobiles

Microsoft is pushing its users towards Windows 10. It seems although the new version hasn't got much upgrading when it comes to features, both versions enjoy almost similar features. The Windows 10 PC version is a different story though, which has added a bunch of new features and more are yet to come.

Former CEO of Microsoft Steve Ballmer tried hard to make Windows an alternative for Android and iOS. He was so confident that he bought Nokia's Devices and service division to make its own Windows smartphones. During that period, Microsoft tried hard to capture mid-range smartphones market in Asia and Europe. Even though they managed to steal away a portion of Android's market but it appears as that time has passed long ago. New CEO Satya Nadella didn't think that it was a good idea to compete with these two big whales (Android and iOS) and sold all of the assets that former CEO had bought.

Advertisements

Although Windows 8.1 offers many features including Word Flow Keyboard and excellent camera app with a lot of new functions, none of them were useful enough to make Windows mobiles compete with Android and iOS. So, when it comes to user's choice, Windows stood nowhere against these two giants.

One of the complaints that Windows users make is that no major app developer did bother to present its product on OS. For instance, Google didn't release its apps latest official versions on Windows. However, he did that in the case of iOS.

Microsoft's next move

There are rumors that Microsoft is planning to come with new hardware and stuff in the mobile market. However, seeing his current CEO's attitude towards competition, it is rarely possible that he would try again to compete with Google and Apple.

It might be possible that Nadella comes up with a device that doesn't include in the smartphone category. Maybe a new technology or so. Only that way he would be able to avoid competition. Nonetheless, these are all baseless rumors. Nothing has been announced officially.