#Mike Pence slammed a news outlet for suggesting that he is planning to run for the presidential seat in 2020. On Sunday, a report by the New York Times claimed that a "shadow campaign" had been set up by some members of the Republican Party in case Donald Trump will not go for a reelection in the upcoming U.S. election.

VP slams report on his alleged presidential bid

The story also cited that Mike Pence is allegedly planning to run for the highest post if the current POTUS will not be on the ballot. Shortly after the article was published, the vice president criticized the New York Times for their "disgraceful and offensive" report.

Advertisements
Advertisements

He went on to insist that the "allegations in [the] article are categorically false" and suggested that the story is a "fake news." Mike Pence reassured that he and his team are working to have #Donald Trump reelected in 2020. "Any suggestion otherwise is both laughable and absurd," he added.

His statement was supported by Kellyanne Conway, who labeled the news article a "complete fiction." The senior White House counselor also clarified that Mike Pence is aiming for a reelection as vice president and not paving his way to become the next president.

Trump and his campaign for reelection

Conway, however, suggested that Donald Trump will have to work on his approval rating among Republicans if he wants a reelection in 2020. A recent poll conducted by Quinnipiac University showed that the optimism rating for the Trump presidency has plummeted from 52 percent to 43 percent in four months.

Advertisements

Similarly, several GOP members have reportedly expressed their uncertainty of a Donald Trump reelection in 2020. “They see weakness in this president. Look, it’s not a nice business we’re in," Sen. John McCain (R-Arizona) said.

Donald Trump, on the other hand, has already submitted his documents to the Federal Election Commission which confirmed his qualification for the 2020 U.S. elections. The POTUS clarified that the filing should not be taken as a formal announcement of his candidacy for the reelection.

After the filing was made, the U.S. president reportedly held his first reelection fundraiser at the Trump International Hotel on June 28. The said event was expected to raise $10 million which will be given to the Republican National Committee to fund the reelection campaign of Donald Trump.

Sarah Huckabee Sanders initially announced that members of the media would be allowed to cover the fundraising event before she reversed her statement on the last minute. #2020 election