#Boston #Police officers have been shot in Gladstone Street, Orient Heights, Massachusetts, and reports are that at least two officers went down. At this time it is not known for certain the extent of their injuries but one is apparently in critical condition. The officers were apparently attending to a report of an armed person in the area.
News crews rushed to the scene to find out more after the Boston Police Department tweeted an alert that the incident had taken place. The tweet confirmed that the incident took place at 136 Gladstone Street. A city-wide alert was issued as officers rushed to aid their colleagues.
Police advised residents in the area to stay indoors while they launch their hunt for the shooter.
Boston Police shooting updates via scanner Website
According to notifications on the Broadcastify Police Radio Scanner Website, the incident played out as follows:
- (BOSTON - 460.450) ACTIVE SHOOTER, OFFICER DOWN, MULTIPLE UNITS ENROUTE, PUSH ON EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES [MAS198]
- (BOSTON - 460.450) UPDATE: CITYWIDE EDT TEAMS AND SWAT ACTIVATED, 2 OFFICERS DOWN, SUSPECT HOLED UP IN THE HOUSE [MAS198]
- (BOSTON - 460.450) UPDATE: COMMAND POST AT SELMA & GLADSTONE, SUSPECT NEUTRALIZED IN THE BASEMENT [MAS198]
- (BOSTON - 460.450) UPDATE: ONE OFFICER WITH A LEG WOUND, EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES TO MGH, POSSIBLE 2ND SUSPECT IN AREA, NO DESCRIPTION [MAS198]
- (BOSTON - 460.450) UPDATE: 2ND OFFICER SHOT 4 TIMES, CRITICAL, EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES TO MGH, COMMAND POST MOVING TO BENNINGTON & WALLEY [MAS198]
Media still await official confirmation of facts
There has been no official press release regarding the updates reported above, but it seems that there might be one suspect "neutralized" and another suspect on the loose that Police are trying to find. It also appears that one of the officers was shot four times and is in a critical condition. The second officer is reported at this time to have suffered a gunshot wound to his leg.
When the officers were first shot, Emergency Medical Services responded and multiple Police units converged on the scene. SWAT was activated and the suspect was tracked down to a house where he was neutralized in a basement.
More than 3000 people tuned into the Boston Police, Fire, and EMS - Live Audio Feed to listen to events as they unfolded. Most recently it was heard on the radio that the suspects vehicle had been towed away and ballistics officers are on the way to the scene.
The Boston Police Department have tweeted that one one officer is badly wounded.
Commissioner Evans: "One of my officers is being treated for life threatening injures while the other's injuries appear to be non-life."— Boston Police Dept. (@bostonpolice) October 13, 2016
In another tweet, the department assured the public that the situation is under control.
#BPD Commissioner Evans: "The situation in East Boston is under control. Please pray for our officers."— Boston Police Dept. (@bostonpolice) October 13, 2016