MS Bionic, Inc. announced today a nationwide recall of all lots of Megajex Natural Male Sex Enhancer, used to treat #erectile dysfunction. The capsules were found to contain the prescription medications Tadalafil and Sildenafil. These agents may interact with patients' other medications, such as nitrates. and cause harm. Both are approved by the Federal Drug Administration to treat the problem, but the risk of interaction is great and users have not been warned – the active drug ingredients were not listed on the label for this product.
The recall recommendation is as follows: Customers who have the MS Bionic product can call 714-470-4352 between the hours of 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. Pacific Standard Time for instructions.
Erectile dysfunction (ED) or impotence is a common condition in men, in which getting or maintaining an erection is difficult. Prescription and non-prescription treatments for erectile dysfunction are a billion dollar industry. Many consumers seek out purported natural remedies.
Signs and symptoms
Erectile dysfunction symptoms might include persistent difficulty in getting an erection, trouble keeping an erection, and reduced sexual desire. Arousal is a complicated cascade of progressions that encompass hormones, emotions, nerves, brain, muscles, and blood flow. All factors need to be considered as in a mixture of physical and psychological problems.
Most causes are from cardiovascular disease, diabetes, neurologic, hormonal, and drug side effects. Overall risk factors suggest a link to blood flow, blood vessel occlusion or blockage, changes in hormone, and neurotransmitters.
- Cardiovascular diseases, hypertension, and high cholesterol
- Obesity and an inactive lifestyle
- Alcohol, smoking, and illegal drug use can restrict blood flow, alter the production of testosterone. Testosterone is a male hormone that can affect performance and desire.
- Depression, stress, anxiety, relationship issues or other mental #Health conditions.
- Medications, including antidepressants, antihistamines, and medications to treat high blood pressure, pain or prostate conditions.
Erectile dysfunction therapy
Treatment is dependent upon the cause, patient and partners’ preferences.
Oral therapy is the most common. These prescription medications affect chemical substances phosphodiesterase’s (PDE 1-6). Primarily by PDE5 which triggers vasodilation and platelet inhibition resulting in more blood flow to the penis and an erection. Oral PDE 5 inhibitors; sildenafil (Viagra), Tadalafil (Cialis), and Vardenafil (Levitra).
The male hormone testosterone can also be used and is available as an injection, patch or gel. Penile injections include the drugs papaverine, phentolamine, and prostaglandin E1. Vacuum devices, penile implants, intraurethral pellet, inflatable prosthesis are other options.
A wide range of supplements is advertised as natural, herbal, and sexual enhancers. They are not approved or recommended by the FDA as being safe or effective. These agents have not been tested in double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trials to prove safety or effectiveness. Additionally, these products may contain contaminants or substances that are not indicated on the label.
Testimonial statements have been made regarding improved sexual arousal and performance with:
- Yohimbe, an herbal supplement
- Dopamine agonists, medications that treat Parkinson’s disease
- Serotonin receptor agonists, medications that treat migraine headaches
- Trazodone, a medication that treats depression
Scientific study results are inconclusive and more research is needed.
Treating ED with lifestyle modifications
Moving to healthier lifestyle choices may improve and sometimes treat ED. #Education
- quit smoking
- limit or stop drinking alcohol
- increase physical activity
- stop illegal drug use
- eating a nutritionally healthy diet